On Wednesday August 22nd, Ballycroy National Park are holding a Ranger led hike through a section of the National Park. The walk is open to any one who HAS NOT been on a Ranger led hike before. Due to the duration, and nature, of the hike a high level of fitness and experience in hiking is essential. Below is the information showing our outline for the day.
The plan is as follows:
– 09:30 Meet at the Musical Bridge, Bellacorrick (there is parking nearby)
– The hike will take approx. 5.5 hours but those attending should allow 7 hours in total
– A bus will take everyone from the bridge to Altnabrocky where we will then start the hike through a 1km forest path before entering the parkland. We will traverse over boggy, rough terrain underfoot and make the 2 hour ascent to Slieve Carr, following along the mountain ridge until we descend by Scardaun Lough.
– The bus will be collect everyone after the hike, returning to the Musical Bridge by approx. 4p.m.
– They must not have attended a Ranger-led hike before.
– This walk is classed as Hard and those attending should have completed long hikes previous to this.
– High level of fitness and no major medical conditions.
– Preparation is key, and the correct gear should be worn for the hike (Hiking boots, backpack containing spare clothes, 2-3L of water, packed lunch, raingear, walking poles if needed). No jeans.
Bookings will be taken over the phone (098-49888), numbers will be capped at 15 people and phone numbers need to be taken on booking as the walk will be weather dependent so we will need to get in touch with you in case the hike is cancelled. Those wishing to book a place on the hike must also provide an in-case-of emergency contact.